Monday, February 25, 2008

Some Randomness

Jannika decided the other day that she wanted to wear a flower in her hair and she found this one and put it in! I think she can't decide right now whether she wants it to be winter or spring. She loves sledding but lately she has been wanting to go to the wave pool every day. Kyle took her the other day (It is outdoor but they have a big bubble over it). They were there for about 2 hours. What a nice daddy!
Kirsten has two new things in her life. She got a new toddler bed from some friends in our ward. It will be a good transition from her crib to her big bed. And, as you can see, she just got glasses. We had started to notice that her eye turned in slightly so I took her to the eye doctor and they discovered that she is far sighted and so her eye is turning in to try to squint and see things. (That is how I understood it anyway). And if anyone refers to her as having a lazy eye or being crosseyed, I will personally slug them. I am not down with those terms! Seriously...
We ordered these glasses in pink but they don't make the pink ones anymore so we just had to get gold frames. She is doing really well at keeping them on but she usually looks over the top of them. I guess we will have to patch her good eye for several hours a day probably until she is in kindergarten. We will get the particulars at her next appointment.

Other random stuff... I have been trying out freezer meals which at first I thought they wouldn't taste very good after being in the freezer for a while, but we have really liked them. Some things like lasagne and tator tot casserole taste just about the same whether from a freezer meal or not. For the lasagne, just make your usual lasagne recipe but don't cook the noodles. Just layer them and the other ingredients and freeze. For tator tot casserole, mix 1 can cream of chicken, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 soup can of milk, browned hamburger and tator tots. Pour into a freezer ziplock bag and freeze. Thaw, pour into a casserole dish and top with cheese. I will post other good freezer recipes if anyone is interested.


Our new favorite cookies are these mint chocolate cookies. Here is the recipe: (it is the recipe for homemade oreo cookies)
1 devil's food cake mix
3/4 C shortening
2 eggs
A little milk or water
Mix together and add enough water or milk to make it mix. Form into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 min. at 350 degrees. Do Not Overbake.
Frosting:
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. butter - melted
2 1/2 Tbsp. milk
4 drops food coloring
1 tsp. mint or peppermint extract
Mix together. Usually I do green food coloring because that tells people that they are mint flavored. (Somehow the ones in the picture ended up pink--that's what you get when you have little girls!) These are soooo yummy!

5 comments:

Keiauni said...

Kirsten looks cute in glasses!!
Judd and I both said "Awww, cute" When we saw the picture.

Jannika are you getting ready for our family Hawaii trip next year?
...cute little Keiki with a flower in her hair! (you're coming, right?)

Sister WIFE: I love making freezer meals! We should swap recipes. I also am really into crockpotting it lately!

The cookies look MOUTHWATERING!

Alexis said...

Such cute pictures of the girls. Jannika looks so grown up! And Kirsten is adorable! I had glasses when I was little and had to wear a patch as well - because of my lazy eye. She looks super cute. My eye just got better eventually and I don't even need glasses anymore! And I'll definitely have to try some of those freezer meals - yummy. So glad you posted again - I was starting to wonder where you were!! :)

Andi said...

Kirsten looks cute in glasses!! Jannika is getting so big, I can't believe how fast they grow up. The freezer meals look delicious. I will have to try them out sometime!

Jenn said...

I started to make a double batch of a few cassaroles and freezing them, too; isn't it nice for nights where you just don't want to cook? One that I have is a Ritz cracker with chicken and rice - kinda like the one you made for me when I had Braden. It is so yummy and re-heats VERY well! Your girls are so pretty, and Kirsten does look cute in glasses! Oh, shouldn't have looked at the cookies picture - I'm trying to be good! ;)

Alexis said...

I had to make those cookies because I love that recipe for homemade oreos. The mint frosting was soooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe - it's a keeper!