Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Our sweet baby

Here's the latest update on our sweet little Clarissa. For those of you who don't know, on Monday morning I had fed her and began to burp her and she did a gagging cough and then didn't start to breathe again. My sister was at my house and I called for her and she called 911. My baby was purple and very limp by then. My sister did 2 rescue breaths and then the EMTs got there. Thank heaven we only live a block from the fire department. What a blessing. In all we think that she was between 2 and 3 minutes without air. (the EMTs did say that she was probably breathing the whole time but only 8 times a minute which is not enough to sustain life.) They got her breathing again but kind of shallow breaths and I rode with them to the hospital in the ambulance. I had called Kyle at work and he had come in at the same time as the EMTs. He followed us to the hospital and my sister was able to stay with our kids. They did every test you can think of to see what was wrong with her and what might have caused her to stop breathing. She was very tired and kind of unresponsive through the day (probably because of the trauma.) One of our bishopric members was able to come and help Kyle give her a blessing and we are very grateful for that. The doctors were very worried about her and decided to have her sent to Primary Children's hospital. She went up on a helicopter and Kyle and I drove up. They did some more tests and ruled out RSV, pneumonia, and whooping cough, along with other things. She had a lot better color yesterday and was awake more and seemed more like herself.
They were able to take her off oxygen this morning and she has been doing well. The doctor said that it is probably acid reflux and what happened was that she refluxed and the acid kind of stunned her and it may have gone into her airway. She has also had some phlegm in her throat and that may have added to the choking. They are going to give her some reflux medication to reduce the acid and have us take some precautions to help her with the reflux so this won't happen again. We hope this is the solution and everything can go well from here on out.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. We know that Heavenly Father has been watching over us through all of this. She is such a precious baby and we are so glad that we have her.

9 comments:

Valerie said...

I found your blog! I hope you don’t mind. Your three girls are darling!!! And man, Jannika has grown so much since I last saw her. Brandt and I will definitely keep little Clarissa in our prayers.

Larson Letters said...

Janell,
That is so scary. I am glad she seems to be doing better. I hope she gets to come home soon if she hasn't already. I will keep her in my prayers. Good luck with everything! by the way...Jannika's birthday cake and cupcakes were adorable!!!

Alexis said...

SO relieved to have an update! We have been so worried about you all. Happy to hear Clarissa is doing better! I'm sure that was the scariest time ever. Give her a snuggle and a kiss from her aunt lexie! Can't wait to see you all next month!

Hawaii Heather said...

How scary. We'll keep you all in our prayers.

Jenn said...

Janell and Kyle,
We are so glad to know that your baby is doing better. I've been checking your blog and my email, hoping things are okay! I'm so glad things are going to be okay. We miss you guys!

Christina said...

Oh my gosh! How scary! I am so glad that LeAnne (?) was there to give some rescue breaths! I think I would be too FREAKED OUT to even know what is going on! We will keep Clarissa in our prayers! Let us know if we can help you out at all!

Trista said...

Our prayers are with you! Jannika has gotten so big since I last saw her! Your girls are beautiful. Hope all is going well for you!

Ashley said...

I am glad that she is doing better, that is such a scary situation, especially with such a young baby. Good luck and I will keep checking up to see how she is doing.

P.S. We now have the same blog template....

Our life 2.0 said...

That is so scary! I am glad that she is doing better. We'll keep her in our prayers! Take care you guys.