Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Dad



(The new songs on my playlist were some of his favorites)
Wow, I don't even know how to put into words the things that have been on my mind during this past week. I guess I'll start by saying thank you for all of your kind words and gestures. It really does help to have the support of your family and friends during such a hard time. I love my dad so much. He was one of the most amazing people I know. My brother, Mark, spoke at the funeral and asked each of my sisters and me to write down some thoughts about my dad. I will try to sum up some of what I wrote:
"Our dad had many different roles in the community and was very well-known for his role in the Pageant, in Sons of Utah Pioneers and other community events. But we knew him simply as our father. Some of my favorite memories are of him telling me stories of his childhood at bedtime, sitting around the dinner table talking and saying our nightly family prayers. He was a very loving father and always greeted me with a hug even when I lived right next door. I loved going to the farm with him as a little girl and my daughter, Jannika, had many fond experiences going to the farm with him just in the last few years."
My sisters and Mark also had heartfelt memories of my dad.

The casket was handmade out of white pine by a friend of ours. It was very simple and Kyle put our brand on it and LeAnne, Karla and Fawn (my sisters) made the spray of sagebrush for the top. Flags lined the street from the stake center up to the cemetery and our caravan was led by horseback riders carrying the flags of each branch of the military. My dad was not in the military but he was very patriotic and he loved the first part of the pageant where we have the riders come at a gallop down in front of the audience with their flags. Some family friends helped with bringing the covered wagon from the pageant to carry the casket and also brought a buggy for us to ride in.

He was not a perfect person but I know that he loved me and he loved all of his family members and he will forever be in our hearts.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Janell,
Such a beautiful post. I have been waiting for it since you wrote about your Dad's passing. I knew you'd write something touching about your Dad. I thought the funeral was just as your Dad would have liked it. I learned a lot of fun things about your Dad too! Like, how he thought your Mom had beautiful "LAMB LIKE" eyes! And how he had a rather....gross roommate at college!!:) We got a giggle out of that one! Brooklyn loved seeing all the horses outside the church, and when the casket was placed in the covered wagon, she turned to me with a concerned look on her face and said, "Oh, they don't have a car??" Leave it to little ones to bring a smile to your face on a hard day.
I hope you are doing well. Give your Momma a hug from us. We love you!

Keiauni said...

That was such a loving tribute to your Dad...
Glad that you are hanging in there.

....miss you!

Keiauni

Jenn said...

Thank you for sharing about your dad. I'm glad that the funeral went well; it sounds like it was beautiful. Miss you guys!

Nava_jo said...

Janell I had no idea your father passed away. He was such a wonderful man. He has always welcomed my family to the county, when parents first moved there 27 yrs ago.

I love your family and wish you all the best. :)

Joleen "Begay" Romo